Building up a relationship with a potential new board member can take months. Start by collecting information on each person, such as contact details, skills and qualifications, community involvement, and any experience in serving on boards.
When identifying potential board members, think about:
- People who have some of the ideal qualities and skills
- People who embrace the values of the organisation
- People who are committed, have time and are not serving on too many other boards
Ways to develop their interest:
- Chat to them to see if they are interested in joining the board.
- Personally ask them in writing to consider being a board member.
- Invite them to NPO events or annual general meetings.
- Send them selected, relevant information on the NPO.
- Invite them to a meeting to discuss joining your board.