The structure of a governing board and the procedures for its meetings are usually set out in the organisation’s trust deed or constitution.
Board structures usually include:
- A chairperson who oversees all board affairs and chair meetings
- A vice-chairperson to support the chairperson
- A secretary who gives notice of board meetings, prepares agendas and materials, and takes minutes of meetings
- A treasurer to keep an eye on board and organizational finance
- Subcommittees when these are needed on important issues