We learnt a few do’s and don’t from donors at our last “Inyathelo’s Donor Dragons’ Den” which we summarised into the following top 10 pitching don’ts:
- deviate from your point: stay consistent; make sure your documents complement your presentation.
- forget to make a specific ask: the point of the pitch is all about what donors can contribute to you.
- be dishonest: if you don’t have the passion for your work we will know!
- give a brochure presentation: you need to sell your story and make it personal.
- pitch for the whole 10 million: break it down and give the opportunity for donors to offer segments of it.
- beg: always remember you have something to give!
- give us stats only: people can google the generic, but only you can tell them your story.
- run out of time: respect your listeners’ time and share only what people need to know.
- use jargon: not all people will understand what you consider “daily lingo”.
- leave us hanging: donors want to know what the future could hold and how they can contribute to making it happen!
Author: Ruvimbo Gwatirisa; Inyathelo: The South African Institute for Advancement